PRIMARY FUNCTION: In concert with the vision set by the Board of Directors, CEO, and Vice President of Development, plan and execute resource development strategies and monitor progress against goals with a focus on Events, Marketing, Communications, and Major Gifts. Develop and implement a fundraising plan for these areas to meet operating budget needs on an annual basis as well as long-term. Manage the team responsible for these areas. Manage volunteer leaders that serve on committees and councils that support these efforts as assigned by the Vice President of Development.
- Provide strategy, direction, and oversight in events, major gifts, marketing, and communications to reach development goals and strategies.
- Manage the daily activities of implementation of the development plan around events, marketing, communications, and major gifts.
- Develop fundraising strategies that align cash inflows and outflows to minimize financing of working capital.
- Manage and report pledge receivable status and minimize collection timing and write-offs.
- Lead and manage development staff for events, marketing, communications, and major gifts.
- Identify opportunities to build public awareness of BGCGH initiatives, services, and programs.
- Work with the Vice President of Development to develop a comprehensive annual fundraising plan to support the operating budget and annual cash requirements.
- Provide oversight to staff that research and identify high net individuals and event sponsors to cultivate, solicit and steward.
- Work with Vice President of Development to establish forecasts and prepare evaluations of fundraising potential for development activities by identifying and rating prospects, with special attention given to those prospects having the highest potential.
- In concert with the CEO, Vice President of Development, Board of Directors, and volunteer leadership, assume responsibility for the successful identification, solicitation, and closing of all major gifts using an agreed-upon strategy.
- Work with the leadership to plan, arrange and organize strategies for board members to participate in the solicitation of major donors – ie AP Core Team and giving societies.
- Work closely with CEO, VP of Development and Board Members to ensure donor relationships are managed and leveraged effectively to increase the likelihood of giving.
- Develop and execute a plan to expand overall fundraising efforts to help build a major gift pipeline.
- Ensure the best strategies for donor cultivation, stewardship, and recognition are being implemented to increase giving.
- Oversee staff responsible for the successful implementation of key events for BGCGH.
- Ensure events are engaging to participants and result in the growth of overall event revenue.
- Ensure events meet revenue goals and expense budgets.
- Work with event staff to recruit business sponsors to generate event revenue, including maintaining existing sponsors and attracting new sponsors.
- Work with event staff to cultivate event attendees to move them from the event only donors to organizational donors.
Manage Leadership Volunteers
- Provide oversight and direction for leadership volunteers supporting development efforts including special event committees, area councils, and board advisory councils
- Recruit chairs and committee members for each area
- Clearly define the roles and responsibilities of each committee
- Responsible for quarterly Council meeting agendas
- Assist with the creation of an Advisory Council made up of former board members
Marketing and Communications
- Work with marketing and communications staff to develop and implement a year-round strategy.
- Working with CEO and VP of Development, manage media inquiries effectively.
- Work with staff to develop and maintain ongoing relationships with key media outlets in Houston Area.
- Ensure BGCGH branding is consistent and guidelines are followed by staff and vendors.
Young Professionals Group
- Work with staff to develop and implement a year-round strategy.
- Work with staff to oversee the YP committee.
- Identify ways to enhance overall YP experience, which includes, but is not limited to events, volunteer opportunities, fundraising, and membership growth.
Areas of Responsibility/Oversight of staff who perform the following functions:
- Stewardship plan and implementation.
- Marketing and Communications oversight – work with staff to develop an annual marketing plan and oversee its implementation
- Volunteer management oversight – specifically as it relates to events, young professionals program and major gifts.
- Special Event oversight - planning, coordination, and implementation.
- Young Professionals oversight
- Understand and articulate the mission, objectives, policies, programs, procedures, principles and practices of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Houston.
- Maintain and utilize the Raisers Edge donor database software fully.
- Manage administrative and operational systems and duties to:
a. Track fundraising income and other development reports
b. Recognize contributions with acknowledgment letters and special recognition events
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required or as assigned.
Internal: Maintain oral and written contact with the Vice President of Development, Board of Directors at the direction of the VP of Development, Club management and staff, and volunteers to exchange information, seek and give assistance, and direction.
External: At the direction of the VP of Development, maintain oral and written contact with other agencies, business leaders, community groups, boards of directors of such organizations, and the media for the purpose of exchanging information and ideas and for the purpose of fundraising.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Master’s preferred.
- Ten plus years proven experience in resource development – including grant writing, reporting, major gift solicitation and fundraising event planning.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising.
- Financial planning and business acumen.
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and Raiser’s Edge.
- Knowledge of how to manage multiple fundraising projects, events and campaigns.
- Tangible experience of successfully soliciting large grants, major donations and cultivating existing donor relationships over time.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and execute successful projects.
BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS OF GREATER HOUSTON INC. is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled