Strong City Baltimore is a non-profit organization located in Baltimore City whose mission is to build and strengthen neighborhoods and people.
Through the operation of Baltimore’s only drop-in center for homeless youth, the Youth Empowered Society (YES) provides urgently-needed direct services to youth experiencing homelessness through trauma-informed peer and ally support; develops the leadership and employment readiness of youth who have experienced homelessness; and partners with youth to advocate for systems change. The Youth Empowered Society (YES) is fiscally sponsored by Strong City Baltimore.
Overview of Role:
YES is seeking an Employment Specialist to work with YES for 2 – 4 months. They will be responsible for enhancing YES’s Workforce Development Program, which serves over 300 youth annually, by directly connecting youth at YES to employment opportunities over the summer months, consult with our Workforce Development Coordinator, and produce a report on the key areas of career interest for youth and the areas of opportunity to partner with grassroots job training programs in Baltimore. The Employment Specialist will work no more than 20 hours a week, with half of those hours spent in the drop-in center connecting with youth, Monday through Thursday, from 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM, at a competitive consultant rate.
Employment Specialist Responsibilities:
- Assess our existing network of workforce providers
- Locate potential job leads for youth at YES
- Share job leads with the YES team
- Work with youth to assess job readiness and career goals
- Communicate job leads directly to youth at YES
- Prepare youth for interviews by working with resumes and coordinating mock-interviews
- Offer post-employment supports for youth who attain employment
- Engage with the business community to grow employer partnerships
- Produce an end-of-summer report on career interests of youth and grassroots job training program partnership opportunities
- Report to the Workforce Development Coordinator
- Previous work in workforce development
- Vocational rehabilitation programs, sales, or business experience is a plus
- Desire to support youth and young adults experiencing homelessness in a fast-paced environment
- Welcoming demeanor and strong communication skills
- Commitment to advancing racial equity across systems in Baltimore
To apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter. No phone calls, please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews.
YES and Strong City Baltimore does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor. All are encouraged to apply.
Strong City Baltimore Inc is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled