Who We Are:
Topiarius is a landscape design, build, and maintenance company. Since 2003, our mission has been to design, create, and maintain luxurious outdoor sanctuaries because we believe people deserve to live beautifully outdoors. You can learn more about Topiarius at www.topiarius.com.
The Purchaser is a full-time position that is a steward of the company's and clients' resources, an advocate for learning about new products and vendors, and a caretaker of efficiency, orderliness, and accuracy. This position is responsible for planning, purchasing, monitoring receipt, communicating about, and ensuring availability of all plants, dry goods, products, supplies, and seasonal decor for all Topiarius installations. Additionally, this position oversees the collaboration with other team members for purchasing hardscape, lumber, and custom products. This position coordinates $1,500,000 - $2,000,000 in annual purchases.
Reports To: Director of Operations
What You Will Do:
1) Procurement and 2) Teamwork
This position's success is measured by:
- Tracking the quantity and monetary value of all purchased materials.
- Reducing loss or long-standing in inventory due to over-purchasing, inaccurate purchasing, and untimely purchasing.
- Providing updates at team meetings about availability and/or substitution options for contracted materials and scheduled delivery dates.
- Regular inventory implementation.
- Introduce 1 new vendor or 1 new product from a vendor through an email to staff.
Who You Are:
- You identify with our culture. Topiarius employees are expected to perform with honesty, creativity, and respectfulness. We do this by serving with an upbeat and positive attitude. We do this by learning through asking questions, learning from other people, collaborating with our team, and improving on our mistakes. And we do this by delivering on our work product through communication, goal setting, preparation, efficiency, and meeting deadlines.
- You are a curious and a learner at heart. As a team participate and leader you lean into creativity and are constantly inspired by what you see. You love learning about anything landscaping, particularly all the materials that are required for designs and installations.
- You aim for professional and operational excellence. You are someone that doesn't just show up to phone in the day. You are mature and professionally dressed, ready to produce. Your lists are clear, organized, and prioritized. You actively track activities in assigned software(s). You exude pride in all that you do and are humble enough to know when you need to ask for help.
- You enjoy working with a team. In this role, you understand that you need to ask and help colleagues to generate the information they and you need, whether it's database upkeep, printing/emailing production tickets, inventory work, or collaborating to find the best vendor. You have many skills, you understand that others do as well, and recognize that in order to succeed you will have to collaborate regularly with every one of your talented colleagues at Topiarius.
- Have a bachelor's degree and/or equivalent work experience.
- Have a minimum of 2-5 years purchasing and management experience with large quantities of plants and materials.
- Possess a comprehensive knowledge of supply chain management functions.
- Have comprehensive knowledge of annuals, tropicals, bulbs, perennials, shrubs, and trees for Zone 6.
- Have working knowledge of seasonal decor.
- Have working knowledge of dry goods.
- Calculate basic math such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, as well as advanced math equations such as cubic yardage, square footage, areas, and volume.
- Able to multi-task and have strong project management skills.
- Attention to detail with the ability to think creatively and operate with flexibility.
- Exhibit strong follow-up and time management skills.
- Be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google mail and calendar.
- Display comfortability with and ability to learn computer programs quickly.
- Be fluent in English.
- Have a personal commitment to Topiarius' mission.
Other Desirable Qualifications:
- Familiarity with Chicagoland vendors.
- Proficient in Spanish.
- Experience with Aspire and HubSpot.
Expected Activity and Movement:
- This role requires visual acuity to perform activities such as viewing a computer terminal and analyzing data and figures.
- Routinely works at a desk.
- Moves about indoors and outdoors to analyze purchased materials.
What We Provide:
Hours and Compensation:
Office hours are Monday through Friday, regular in-office hours throughout the week.
Annual Salary: $60,000 - $70,000 (commensurate with experience)
- Paid Time Off and Paid Sick time.
- Paid holidays.
- 3% of salary vested retirement plan available after 1 year of employment & minimum 1000 hours of worked.
- Complimentary Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability plans.
- Medical and dental insurance plans.
- Dog friendly office.
Relocation fees are not offered for this position.
Topiarius is a non-union shop. Final candidates may be required to undergo a background check. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, or other status protected by applicable law.
First, we highly encourage you to visit Topiarius' website (www.topiarius.com) to become familiar with our company. If you are interested in joining our team, please submit your resume and cover letter.
We will contact you if we are interested in scheduling an interview and provide you with a detailed job description. Please refrain from phone calls.