US Lacrosse, the national governing body of lacrosse, announces an opening for an experienced Marketing and Brand Strategy Director working as part of the Marketing & Communications Team. The successful candidate is a self-starter, a strategic and analytical thinker, a master communicator who is courageous and creative. The best candidate is passionate about what they do and can also lead by example. We are looking for an individual that embodies “The USL Way” by positively influencing the sport and each other, providing outstanding service, being creative and innovative, practicing purposeful collaboration, being humble and honest and having fun! If you believe you can bring your own unique spirit, then US Lacrosse is the place to be.
ABOUT US LACROSSE:
US Lacrosse, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, is the national governing body of men’s and women’s lacrosse and the home of the nation’s fastest-growing team sport. US Lacrosse coordinates all activities of the U.S. National Teams Program and has nearly 450,000 members across the country. Through responsive and effective leadership, US Lacrosse provides programs and services to inspire participation while protecting the integrity of the sport.
IMPORTANT NOTE: All applicants must submit a brief cover letter, resume and minimum salary requirements to be considered for the position directly via gethired.com to ensure completion of application even if applying through another site. Relocation expenses are generally not included for USL job openings.
The Marketing & Brand Strategy Director is responsible for building the USL Member base, creating breakthrough awareness campaigns, and engaging the lacrosse community across multiple platforms. Activities include membership & digital marketing, creative development & execution, advertising, database & partner marketing, brand management, and event execution. This individual will manage a team of high-performing professionals who will work collaboratively across business units to create assets and campaigns and deliver exceptional results for the organization.
To be considered, the candidate should exhibit a successful history of directing brand strategy and execution, digital marketing proficiency, use of analytics to inform and support decisions, and a willingness to get involved with the execution.
Expected Hours of Work:
US Lacrosse core business hours are 8:00 am to 8:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm on Saturday. This position is generally expected to work 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday - Friday and regularly/ occasionally requires longer hours or weekend work as related to events and other business needs.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel will be expected for select events.
Lacrosse experience is not required for this position. Knowledge of the lacrosse industry (participation or prior job) is preferable.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Protect, enhance and grow the USL brand by engaging USL Members, fans of lacrosse, and future fans through a unified brand story
- Create, plan, implement and oversee marketing campaigns and strategies to drive brand awareness and fan engagement across all channels (TV, radio, print, digital media, outdoor and social media) and platforms
- Lead demand generation/awareness strategy to attract new customers to the membership funnel
- Streamline the development and delivery of creative ideas to execute on USL’s strategic plan in collaboration with the USL Content team
- Handle agency relationships where applicable to help guide campaigns, creative and strategy
- Oversee the development of all digital marketing initiatives including email marketing, social media, web site, digital advertising, and any other digital products
- Define and execute USL’s social media strategy across diverse platforms, and establish a clear “social voice” for USL’s marketing strategy
- Monitor, plan and direct campaign analytics/research to gather information and create strategies based on key learnings. This includes analytics and insights for all social media platforms with actionable suggestions to increase growth, engagement, new followers and revenue
- Supervise the planning and development of all company marketing materials and collaborate with other departments to ensure consistent messaging and branding, and provide support to each department’s specific needs including event & ticket sales, partnership sales, retail sales, membership, and other programs
- Establish and manage annual marketing, advertising, promotions, and event execution expense budget
- Responsible for reviewing/approving all 3rd party promotional materials that use the USL brand and marks
- Collaborate with the Events team to engage fans in interactive and innovative ways (including the event/game experience, on-site activations, digital/social activation, and fan promotions)
- Work closely with the Director, Communications, to ensure maximum exposure for USL’s involvement in grassroots mission efforts, social responsibility efforts and other community events
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders, including other USL departments, broadcast partners, teams/leagues, and marketing & media partners to maximize cross-promotional opportunities
- Establish project management process to better collaborate between departments; and establish a unified marketing calendar to better organize within the Marketing & Communications department
- Other duties as assigned
Core Values & Competencies:
- We Influence – Written and Verbal Communication
- We Serve - Customer Focused
- We Create & Innovate - Creativity
- We Collaborate – Peer Relationships
- We are Humble & Honest – Integrity and Trust
- We Embrace Individuality – Diversity
- We Have Fun - Humor
- This position manages a team of approximately five (5) employees in the department and is responsible for the hiring, performance management (including goal setting, code of conduct and documentation), training, expenses and adherence to all organizational policies of the employees within the department.
- 8+ years of relevant experience in marketing and brand management
- Experience directing brand, digital marketing and demand generation programs
- Understanding of the membership sales cycle
- Analytical, detail-oriented and organized with strong communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills, both oral and written
- True team player and collaborator
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial with a hands-on approach towards business
Preferred Education & Experience:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in business, marketing or advertising
- Agency or sports property experience a plus
Work Conditions & Physical Requirements:
This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee:
- Occasionally works in outside weather conditions, including occasional extreme temperatures.
- Lifts and moves boxes, supplies and equipment up to 20-30lbs.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
US Lacrosse Inc is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled