Biohabitats is seeking a Senior Ecological Designer and Project Manager to join our Western Team. The ideal candidate will have the training and experience in core disciplines to bring a strong understanding of the biological and physical processes that drive ecosystem functions and establish the foundation of conservation planning and ecological design principles.
The Senior Ecological Designer will work with our multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, landscape architects, and GIS technicians to support conservation planning, biodiversity restoration, climate change adaptation, environmental justice, and green infrastructure for government, private, and non-governmental organizations. The successful candidate is able to work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment.
Biohabitats is a leading ecological restoration, conservation planning, regenerative design and construction firm. We work nationally and internationally on projects as a multi-disciplinary team with the shared passion to Restore the Earth & Inspire Ecological Stewardship. We approach challenges in a collaborative, questioning, and creative manner that is always rooted in providing the highest value to our clients.
We provide outstanding benefits. Click on 'Learn more about our benefits' on our Careers page to find out more.
Role & Responsibilities
- Managing, leading, and participating in all aspects of project delivery
- Contracting, budgeting, and planning/directing scope of services
- Serve as technical specialist for assessments and design
- Project project management and leadership to project staff
- Instruct, train, and mentor team members
- Support business development and proposal writing
- A love of wild nature and the outdoors with an eagerness to advance our mission and values
- Professional experience managing relevant and recent ecological design projects
- Professional experience managing, leading, and participating in all aspects of project delivery including:
- Planning, assessment, design, permitting, construction administration, and monitoring
- Demonstrated experience in supervising, coordinating, and reviewing the work of other professionals
- Demonstrated academic and professional experience in western flora and fauna identification, ecological assessments, stormwater management, and desktop analysis (GIS) preferred
- Proficient in Adobe Suite; Microsoft Office Suite; ArcGIS
- Strong communication, problem-solving, and negotiation skills
- Experience in biomimicry, biophilia, living building challenge, or other similar ecological design approaches
- Experience with engagement and support of indigenous communities and environmental justice
- Experience in plant installation, oversight, and restoration design-build
- Experience in preparation of construction specifications and cost estimates
Education & Certification
- M.S. in Landscape Architecture, Biology, Ecology, Botany, Environmental Engineering (or equivalent)
- Certification (or ability to obtain) as a Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS) and/or Certified Ecological Restoration Practitioner (CERP)
Years of Experience
8-10 years of applied experience in nature-based design and/or green infrastructure
$88,000 - $95,000
Denver, CO preferred; flexible Santa Fe, NM or Portland, OR
Provide 1) Cover Letter and 2) Resume in .PDF not to exceed 5MB. Applications without these components will not be considered.
Biohabitats is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a purpose-driven, performance oriented, and values-led organization. We are a certified B-Corp, meeting the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance. To ensure that you will thrive at Biohabitats, we highly encourage you to review our Mission, Values, and Approach before applying.
Biohabitats is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled