Part Time Rock Wall Instructor
Responsible for instructing and guiding members through beginner, intermediate and advanced climbing routes. Must follow basic climbing curriculum and have ability to exceed expectations of that curriculum. Provide instruction and activity with other gaming equipment.
· Must be at least 16 years of age and either in high school or graduated.
· General knowledge of climbing, belaying and its safety aspects is a bonus.
· Supervisory experience dealing with people of all ages.
· Must be able to complete required training: First Aid and CPR, YMCA Child Abuse Prevention Training, and the Employee Orientation within 45 days of hire along with any required certifications as job progresses.
· Must be able to make sound decisions in a stressful indoor environment. Some medium lifting involved. Must be able to run, bend, twist, duck and lift at least 25lbs.
· Must know how to tie appropriate knots and be able to belay within 2 weeks of being hired.
· Ability to communicate with people of all ages.
· Supervisory experience preferred but not required.
· Must be able to work nights and weekends.
1. Be able to act as a positive role model in providing sound leadership and guidance to all participants.
2. Be able to recognize and implement climbing safety standards and practices as set forth by the YMCA of Greater Spartanburg.
3. Uphold and incorporate the YMCA’s four core values, Respect, Responsibility, Caring & Honesty, into all aspects of the climbing program.
4. Evaluate climbing program on a continuous basis.
5. Participate in all training, staff meetings, special events and other Adventure Programming as needed.
6. Supervise, belay and instruct climbing wall as scheduled.
7. Supervise fun zone activities.
8. Uphold and promote the climbing wall policy, procedures and good climbing ethics.
9. Assist in wall maintenance: Route setting, cleaning handholds, gear inspections and general wall maintenance.
10. Have a basic understanding of the nature and mission of the YMCA and the climbing philosophy and goals.
11. Communicate with supervisors and other appropriate YMCA personnel.
12. Attend all staff meetings and training opportunities as requested.
13. Monitor game room and playground as well as climbing wall.
14. Assist in the recruitment, retention and maintaining a positive environment for YMCA members.
15. Maintain current certification in all YMCA required trainings
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.