Biohabitats is seeking an entry-level landscape architect with a strong interest in ecological restoration and nature-based design. The successful candidate will support a variety of public, private, and institutional projects throughout the Midwest, from concept design through construction documents, implementation, and monitoring, with an opportunity to support projects led out of other Biohabitats' Bioregion offices. Projects will vary in type, scale, and complexity and may include stream, wetland, and shoreline restoration; climate resilience; and stormwater management projects.
Biohabitats works with federal, state, and local agencies along with conservation organizations and private institutions on biodiversity conservation, climate adaptation, coastal resiliency, and environmental justice. Our shared mission to Restore the Earth & Inspire Ecological Stewardship serves as the foundation for our practice, while self-management, wholeness, and evolutionary purpose define our culture. As a perpetual purpose trust owned company, Biohabitats' commitment to nature is resolute.
To learn more about our outstanding benefits follow 'Learn about our benefits' on our Careers Page.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Support a range of planning and design projects (stream, wetland, and shoreline restoration; climate resilience; stormwater management).
- Develop 3D modeling and visualizations, diagrammatic representations, illustrative renderings, and hand sketches.
- Create site-specific concept designs through construction documents.
- Conduct natural resources and watershed inventories and field assessments (wetland delineations, stream surveys, vegetation surveys, etc.)
- Produce maps and conduct desktop analysis using ArcGIS.
- Support production of plan sets for design projects (e.g. CAD drafting, printing, assembly, submittal, etc.)
- Provide other technical project support as needed.
Required Experience & Skills
- Professional or internship experience related to stream, wetland, or shoreline restoration projects.
- Experience with 3D modeling and visualizations, diagrammatic representations, illustrative renderings, and handsketching.
- Proficient in the use of MS 365 Suite; Adobe Creative Suite; AutoCAD; and ArcGIS.
- Proficient in Rhino and other 3D rendering software.
- Planting knowledge and site grading experience.
- Ability to support or lead field assessments under a variety of weather and site conditions.
- Ability to work both collaboratively in a team environment and independently.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Helpful Experience & Skills
- Professional experience related to climate resilience, stormwater management, and green infrastructure projects.
- Understanding of plant taxonomy (Midwest species), soil science, and hydrology.
- Experience with wetland and forest stand delineations and stream surveys.
- Understanding of federal, state, and local environmental permitting.
Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Landscape Architecture
Years of Experience
0-2 years (internships, co-ops, and volunteer activities are a plus)
$50,000 - $60,000
Cleveland, OH (preferred) or Louisville, KY
Provide 1) Cover Letter, 2) Resume, and 3) Portfolio in .PDFs not to exceed 5MB. Applications without these components will not be considered. Portfolios must be emailed to email@example.com.
Biohabitats is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a dedication and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion informed by systemic injustices. We are a purpose-driven, performance oriented, and values-led organization. We are a certified B-Corp, meeting the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance. To ensure that you will thrive at Biohabitats, we highly encourage you to review our Mission, Values, and Approach before applying.
Biohabitats is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled