Biohabitats is seeking a Restoration Ecologist with a minimum 5-years' experience in coastal ecosystems to join our growing Southeast Atlantic Bioregion Team in Charleston, SC.
The ideal candidate must have a solid background in coastal ecology in the southeast Atlantic and Gulf Coasts with demonstrated project experience in the conservation, enhancement, and restoration of coastal ecosystems. We are looking for a well-rounded coastal ecologist to work collaboratively with our multidisciplinary team to apply nature-based solutions to protect and restore tidal marshes, living shorelines, oyster reef and seagrass beds, maritime dunes and forests, and bottomland hardwood swamps.
Biohabitats works with federal, state, and local agencies along with conservation organizations and private institutions on biodiversity conservation, climate adaptation, coastal resiliency, and environmental justice. Our shared mission to Restore the Earth & Inspire Ecological Stewardship serves as the foundation for our practice, while self-management, wholeness, and evolutionary purpose define our culture. As a perpetual purpose trust owned company, Biohabitats commitment to nature is resolute.
To learn more about our outstanding benefits follow 'Learn about our benefits' on our Careers Page.
Role and Responsibilities
- Perform ecological field studies, watershed assessments, biological monitoring and reporting for coastal ecosystem projects.
- Support all aspects of project delivery including planning, design, permitting, construction administration, and post-construction monitoring.
- Manage relevant project tasks and coordinating project teams.
- Participate in client meetings, community and stakeholder engagements and industry events.
Required Skills, Experience, and Knowledge
- Minimum 5-yars of demonstrated professional experience in coastal ecosystem restoration projects, preferably along the southeast Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico coasts.
- Experience with conducting ecological field studies, modeling, monitoring and report preparation.
- Proficiency with ArcGIS and MS 365 programs.
- Strong technical writing and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to travel to project sites throughout the southeast and Gulf Coast and occasionally throughout the US.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative, and mission driven working environment.
Preferred Skills, Experience, and Knowledge
- Soil characterization and wetland delineation.
- Fisheries and rare, threatened, and endangered species conservation.
- Beach renourishment and dune reestablishment.
- Applications of fire ecology.
- Experience working on NOAA, National Park Service, and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers projects.
- Grant applications support.
- Stakeholder engagement.
- Proficiency in statistics and ecological modeling.
M.S. in Ecology, Restoration Ecology, Coastal Geomorphology, or Conservation Biology with an emphasis on coastal ecosystems.
Certification & Training
Certifications appropriate to education and experience (e.g., Certified Ecologist, Professional Wetland Scientist, Certified Ecological Restoration Practitioner, etc.) or willingness to apply.
$70,000 - $89,000 negotiable based on experience
Provide 1) Cover Letter, 2) Resume in .PDFs not to exceed 5MD. Applications without these components will not be considered.
Biohabitats is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a purpose-driven, performance oriented, and values led organization. We are a certified B-Corp, meeting the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance. To ensure you will thrive at Biohabitats, we highly encourage you to review our Mission, Values, and Approach before applying.
Biohabitats is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled