Who We Are:
Topiarius is a landscape design, build, and maintenance company. Since 2003, our mission has been to design, create, and maintain luxurious outdoor sanctuaries because we believe that people deserve to live beautifully outdoors. You can learn more about Topiarius at www.topiarius.com.
The Estimator role at Topiarius is an exciting opportunity for someone skilled in creating landscape construction estimates. As an Estimator, you will not only be responsible for estimating costs, but you will also participate in design, procurement, and construction phases of our projects. Join our team and be a part of transforming landscapes into works of art.
Reports To: Sr. Landscape Designer
What You Will Do:
- Efficiently and accurately use Topiarius' estimating software by entering accurate labor hours, material, quantities, and necessary tools/equipment for each project.
- Collaborate with staff during the design phase of projects to offer creative problem-solving solutions.
- Confidently suggest any resources that can/could/should be utilized in project designs based on product availability.
- Collaborate with design team to take on-site measurements by visiting job sites to take detailed, accurate measurements and photos.
- Communicate with designers and necessary staff on all design elements prior to making changes, edits, or adjustments, and use CRM to document changes.
- Update job costing worksheet monthly.
- Update labor pricing matrix monthly with regular review of completed job P & L.
- Update estimating software for accurate material pricing.
- Keep sample library organized and updated with current materials.
In collaboration with the Production Manager and Purchaser:
- Ensure that crews and carpenters have an accurate list of all necessary materials and supplies.
- Accurately order unique elements from construction project sets.
- Track purchases using inventory/PO software and communicate regularly to operations about delivery dates.
- Make site visits, as needed, to provide creative problem-solving solutions to in-field carpenters and construction crews.
Who You Are:
- You identify with our culture. Topiarius employees are expected to perform with honesty, creativity, and respectfulness. We do this by serving with an upbeat and positive attitude. We do this by learning through asking questions, learning from other people, collaborating with our team, and improving on our mistakes. And we do this by delivering on our work product through communication, goal setting, preparation, efficiency, and meeting deadlines.
- You understand kind, consistent, and persistent communication with vendors and clients. You are great with talking with people on the phone and are great with written client communication. You are clear and concise, as well as willing to listen and answer questions. You pick up the phone and contact a vendor as many times as needed to get the answers youâ€™re looking for. You are always an advocate for Topiarius.
- You aim for operational excellence. You are someone that doesn't just show up to phone in the day. You are mature and professional. You arrive with a smile. Your lists are clear, organized, and prioritized. You keep paperwork filed and easy to find. You remember details so more times than not you can answer questions without having to double-check. Deadlines are what makes your day turn and you excitedly meet them. You exude pride in all that you do but are humble enough to know when you need to ask for help.
- You are curious and problem solve. We are a growing company and how a process worked last year may not be the same this year so figuring out how to optimize the change is exciting and invigorating to you. Yet, at the same time the routine and repetitive nature of bookkeeping does not bore you; it is why you like this position.
- You enjoy working with a team. You understand that as the Estimator you oversee your assigned responsibilities. You also understand that you need to direct and help colleagues provide you with the information you need. While you have many skills, you understand that others do as well, and you can only benefit from learning from them when necessary.
- 5+ year's experience in the landscape and/or construction industry.
- Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent work experience required.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD software, like Land F/X.
- Expertise with generating estimates for construction projects.
- Experience with estimating software.
- Expertise with reading architectural drawings and design/build construction sets.
- Excellent understanding of outdoor carpentry projects and materials (e.g., pergolas, containers, decking, privacy screens, cabinetry, etc.)
- Functioning knowledge of Microsoft programs and Google programs.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written skills.
- Ability to handle details accurately with strong organizational skills.
- Strong commitment to meeting quantitative and qualitative goals.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. with appropriate tools.
- Valid Illinois driver's license and a clean driving record.
- Ability to drive one's own car to client sites in the Chicagoland, northwest IN, and southwest Michigan.
- Fluent in English.
- Personal commitment to Topiarius' mission.
- Familiarity with CRMs and Inventory Software.
- Conversational Spanish.
- Knowledge of plant material (annuals, perennials, shrubs, trees) and hardscape material.
- Knowledge and experience with drip irrigation systems, electrical and plumbing work.
- Knowledge of plant and hardscape material installations.
Expected Activity and Movement:
- Regularly sits at a desk and works with a computer for estimating/drafting AND moves about for site surveys.
- May lift, carry, or otherwise move and position objects weighing up to 50 lbs. using appropriate tools.
- Bends, stoops, and crouches on an occasional basis.
- Recurrently climbs stairs and occasionally ladders.
- Commonly works in locations of height (i.e., roof decks, balconies).
Applicants must be authorized to work for ANY employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.
What We Provide:
Hours and Compensation:
Monday - Friday; business hours, full-time.
$65, 000 - $75,000 (To be commensurate with applicant's education and years of experience).
8 Paid Holidays. Paid Time Off. Paid Sick Time. Medical and dental insurance plans (PPO/HSA and HMO options). Dental Insurance. Complimentary Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability plans. After one year of service with a minimum of 1000 hours worked, employees are enrolled in Topiarius’ retirement plan. Topiarius will make a Safe Harbor Non-Elective contribution of 3% of compensation deposited the following year into the employee’s pre-tax 401K account
Topiarius is a non-union shop. Our final candidates may be required to undergo a background check. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, or other status protected by applicable law. Nothing in this job description restricts the supervisor's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
First, we highly encourage you to visit Topiarius' website (www.topiarius.com) to become familiar with our company.
Secondly, if you are interested, please apply, AND include examples of construction drawings. We will contact you if we are interested. So please refrain from phone calls.