Provides academic tutoring in math and reading for children in grades K-5. Instruction and activities are designed expressly to promote subject mastery, develop grade-level competencies and to teach study skills. Tutoring services are provided during the afterschool time at the signature program school location.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The tutor must have the competencies, skills and proven leadership ability to successfully carry out the YMCA mission, goals and vision for serving the community. Other important responsibilities of the Tutor include the following:
- Help students achieve a better understanding of specific subject material and in improving academic capabilities in designated areas.
- Help students develop the study skills necessary for academic success. Identify students experiencing difficulties and provide encouragement and alternatives.
- Provide academic assistance to assigned students, individually or in a small group setting.
- Assist School Liaison in preparing for tutoring sessions, reviewing class material, discussing the text, predicting test questions, formulating ideas for materials, or working on solutions to problems.
- Utilize the resources of the school and after-school program in order to assist the student(s) in education endeavors.
- Attend periodic training sessions to increase competency in working with students.
- Document, track and maintain daily progress and academic records of assigned students. Provide feedback regarding student’s progress as well as behavior.
- Acknowledge student efforts, accomplishments and progress.
- Integrate an asset-based positive youth development approach in the tutoring sessions.
- Assist students in developing self-confidence, raising self-concept, and reducing anxiety or fear of failure in academic work.
- Work with students to develop a high level of motivation in academic areas and positive attitudes toward learning and studying.
- Serve as a role model for students being served.
- Adhere to all processes, procedures, rules, and regulations of the YMCA, the afterschool program, and the School District.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS:
- Qualified adult, 18 years or older, who meets academic standards for tutoring and demonstrate competence in analyzing student’s academic needs and effectively provide solutions and support in assisting the student to reach their academic potential.
- High School Graduate or GED (college degree and certified teacher preferred)
- Must possess an understanding and knowledge of how schools operate as well as specific knowledge in the age-appropriate curriculum.
- Must demonstrate good verbal and written communications skills.
- Possess good organization and problem-solving skills.
- Be dependable and supportive of the program.
- Values. Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
- Inclusion. Values all people for their unique talents, and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence.
- Relationships. Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y's work.
- Influence. Employs influence strategies (verbal, personal and written) that engage, inspire, and build commitment to the cause and overall Y goals.
- Communication. Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience. Understands and expertly utilizes current methods of communication (PowerPoint, Prezi, Video, Audio, Animoto, etc…)
- Developing Others. Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
- Decision Making. Integrates logic, intuition, and sound judgment to analyze information to identify the greatest opportunities, make sound decisions, and solve problems.
- Change Capacity. Leads self and others through change by navigating ambiguity appropriately and adapting well to new situations, obstacles, and opportunities.
- Emotional Maturity. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills.
- Quality Results. Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides evidenced-based quality experiences.
- Innovation. Participates in the generation, experimentation, and implementation of new approaches and activities that improve and expand the Y’s mission and work.
Reports to Childcare Director
Pay Range is based on qualifications such as teaching cert and previous experience
YMCA of Greater Spartanburg is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled