Biohabitats is seeking a qualified Ecological or Water Resources Engineer to join our growing team of water resource engineers, ecological engineers, natural scientists, restoration ecologists, landscape architects, and construction professionals to work collaboratively on ecological restoration projects. The ideal candidate will have a solid foundation in the principles of stream, wetland, and ecological restoration and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
The Engineer will support a variety of public, private, and institutional projects throughout the Pacific Northwest region, as well as restoration projects across the United States. Projects, which will vary in type, scale, and complexity, will include stream and wetland restoration and enhancement, river and stream bank stabilization, fish passage improvements, flood hazard analysis, stormwater management design, shoreline and coastal restoration design, and the development of integrated ecological restoration and engineering designs.
The position will be in our Cascadia Bioregion office in Portland, OR.
We provide outstanding benefits. Click on ‘Learn about our benefits’ on our Careers page to find out more.
- Support technical components of restoration projects from initiation to completion
- Prepare design and construction documents (plans, specifications and probable cost of construction estimates) through project development milestones
- Perform hydrologic and hydraulic modeling and similar types of engineering analyses
- Conduct field investigations and manage and interpret data
- Document technical analyses and design processes in data display and written formats
- Maintain collaborative working environment
- Cultivate client relationships
- Hydrologic and hydraulic modeling (e.g., HydroCAD, HEC-RAS [1D and 2D], etc.)
- Proficiency in technical drafting using Computer Aided Design applications
- Proficiency in ArcGIS software
- Experience with computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong work ethic, excellent organizational and time management skills, and a capacity for self-direction
- Experience with field data collection and related equipment, such as topographic survey equipment and drone technologies
- Consulting experience in ecological engineering design and the preparation of detailed construction documents, specifications, and probable cost of construction estimates
- Experience with stormwater planning, designing and monitoring; including innovative design solutions.
- Experience with applied geomorphology and sediment transport modeling
- Experience with Civil3D
- Experience with ArcGIS Software
- Established professional networks in Oregon and Washington
- Ability to travel (including occasional overnight travel) and work in a wide range of field conditions
Education: BS, MS, or PhD in civil engineering or equivalent (e.g., ecological engineering or water resources engineering)
Years of experience: 1-3 years minimum of consulting experience in the ecological restoration field.
Professional Registration: Ability and commitment to obtain an Oregon or Washington PE in 1-3 years
Biohabitats is a purpose-driven, performance oriented, and values led organization. We are a certified B-Corp™ and Just© Organization, meeting the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance. To ensure that you will thrive at Biohabitats, we highly encourage you to review our Mission, Values, and Approach before applying.