Biohabitats is seeking an entry-level landscape architect with a strong interest in ecological restoration and nature-based design. The successful candidate will support a variety of public, private, and institutional projects throughout the Mid-Atlantic, from concept design through construction documents and implementation, with an opportunity to support projects led out of other Biohabitats' Bioregion offices. Projects will vary in type, scale, and complexity and may include stream, wetland, and shoreline restoration; climate resilience; and stormwater management and green infrastructure design and retrofit projects.
Applicants must not only be motivated and technically skilled, but also passionate about restoring the earth and inspiring ecological stewardship.
We provide outstanding benefits. Click on ‘Learn about our benefits’ on our Careers page to find out more.
Role & Responsibilities
- Support a range of planning and design projects (stream, wetland, and shoreline restoration; climate resilience; and stormwater management and green infrastructure design and retrofit projects).
- Develop 3D modeling and visualizations, diagrammatic representations, illustrative renderings, and handsketches.
- Create site-specific concept designs through construction documents.
- Conduct natural resources and watershed inventories and field assessments.
- Produce maps and conduct desktop analysis using ArcGIS.
- Support production of plan sets for design projects (e.g. CAD drafting, printing, assembly, submittal, etc.)
- Provide other technical project support as needed.
Required Experience & Skills
- Professional or internship experience related to stream, wetland, and shoreline restoration; climate resilience; or stormwater management and green infrastructure design and retrofit projects.
- Experience with 3D modeling and visualizations, diagrammatic representations, illustrative renderings, and handsketching.
- Proficient in Microsoft 365 Suite, Adobe Create Suite, AutoCAD, and ArcGIS.
- Proficient in Rhino and other 3D rendering software platforms.
- Planting knowledge and site grading experience.
- Ability to support or lead field assessments under a variety of weather and site conditions.
- Ability to work both collaboratively in a team environment and independently.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Helpful Experience & Skills
- Understanding of plant taxonomy, soil science, and hydrology.
- Experience with wetland and forest stand delineations.
- Understanding of Federal, state, and local environmental permitting.
Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Landscape Architecture
Years of Experience
1-2 years (internships, co-ops, and volunteer activities are a plus)
$50,000 - $60,0000
Provide 1) Cover Letter, 2) Resume, 3) Portfolio of Previous Work in .PDFs not to exceed 5MD. Applications without these components will not be considered. If you cannot upload a Portfolio via the job portal, email your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biohabitats is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a purpose-driven, performance oriented, and values led organization. As an EEO Employer, Biohabitats encourages all experience levels to apply to our job postings. We are a certified B-Corp™, meeting the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance. To ensure that you will thrive at Biohabitats, we highly encourage you to review our Mission, Values, and Approach before applying.