Events at Ronald McDonald House of Chapel Hill are a vital part of the development plan and annual operating budget. As a member of the development team of the Ronald McDonald House of Chapel Hill, the Events Coordinator position is key to our success and will be responsible for planning and managing the execution of a portfolio of annual fundraising events resulting in nearly $600,000 in revenue. Events include but are not limited to: annual fundraising gala, golf outings, clay shoot, tasting events, non-traditional fundraising event activities, cocktail/garden parties, board meetings and corporate engagement events.
The position deals with a wide range of responsibilities that include: seeking and securing auction items, event theme building, creating event programs, communicating with event attendees and corporate donors, contracting vendors, coordinating event logistics, timelines and tasks as necessary for event production.
The Events Coordinator must be able to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, and meet deadlines. The Events Coordinator should have a passion for special event management, provide outstanding communication to RMH staff, vendors and event attendees and volunteers, be an enthusiastic professional, and be capable of building strong and positive relationships with donors and partners.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Continual commitment and focus in all daily activities to the Mission Statement of the Ronald McDonald House of Chapel Hill, NC.
Event Planning and Production Management includes, but is not limited to:
- Create and manage the timeline, program and task list for all RMHCH hosted events.
- Lead all event planning and production meetings and discussions with staff and volunteer committees
- Organize and lead collaboration with the Marketing team on event promotion
- Conceptualize, design, and produce event collateral materials including: invitations, event websites, programs, posters, etc.
- Negotiate costs and services with vendors; book venue space, arrange f&b, order all supplies/decorations, coordinate a/v needs and make necessary travel arrangements as needed. Sign and submit contracts in a timely manner.
- Work with each venue to create/revise room layouts/seating arrangements for each event.
- Secure guest speakers/emcees and entertainment for each event as needed
- Work with the Family Room & Volunteer Services Manager to recruit volunteers for each event.
- Manage the silent and live auction process from item procurement to post event (item solicitation and procurement, item packaging, creating package descriptions, utilizing mobile bidding interface, donor thank you post event, auction set up)
- Manage on-site production and clean up for each event
- Organize and manage the invitation, registration and attendee check-in processes.
- Manage the follow up process with vendors, guests, volunteers and staff following each event
- Ensure the Ronald McDonald House of Chapel Hill, NC brand is well-recognized at events
- Work with the Director of Philanthropy & Annual Giving to ensure the satisfaction of event sponsors in print, media, and other recognition materials as their sponsorship requires
- Managing multiple, simultaneous projects with hard deadlines and ensuring appropriate communication with colleagues
- Meet regularly with internal fundraising partners such as the Director of Philanthropy & Annual Giving, Marketing and Media Manager, Director of Volunteers & Community Outreach, Grants & Annual Giving Manager, Senior Director of Programs and Operations to promote collaboration and teamwork.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and participating in professional development activities
- Assist with planning for RMHCH Board meetings, arranging f&b and conference room layout for each meeting
Event Administration includes but is not limited to:
- Assist with preparing budgets and provide periodic progress reports to staff directors for each event project.
- Keep track of event finances including check requests, invoicing, and reporting.
- Research venue options, coordinate appointments and visits to see venue space, and schedule events on the calendar.
- Prepare and modify event contracts as requested.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Commitment to working as part of a team to achieve group goals.
- Actively participates in collaborative efforts while demonstrating respect for colleagues.
- Assists with other tasks and projects as assigned.
- Evenings, weekend and out of state travel as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities General Competencies
- Ability to accomplish day-to-day tasks and long-term goals required.
- Ability to manage projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate with strong written and oral skills in an easily understood and tactful manner to multiple audiences.
- Ability to build relationships to support long-term goals and strategic initiatives.
- Ability to work with people from all backgrounds and with varying skill sets.
- Creativity and innovation to solve problems and overcome challenges.
- Knowledge of evidence-based approaches and strategies in key work areas.
- Skilled at working with a team and able to inspire quality work.
- Must be resourceful and well-organized.
- Design capabilities to contribute to events websites and invitations.
- Good reasoning abilities and sound judgment required.
- Must be flexible and able to shift resources and priorities in this dynamic environment.
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks concurrently.
- Must be able to work in a general office environment.
- Must be able to use hand/fingers to use computer equipment, files, phones, etc to discharge duties
- Able to lift up to 40 pounds repeatedly.
- Must have the ability to organize and prioritize work and communicate priorities to teammates and leadership.
- Ability to delegate effectively.
- Welcomes, recognizes, and appreciates others’ suggestions, points of view and contributions while working to create a work environment that is inclusive and collaborative.
- Commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice in driving team and organizational results.
- Ability to adapt in fast face work environment and to shift and pivot easily
- Ability to accomplish projects independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a high level of professionalism
Education and Professional Experience
- A Bachelors degree from an accredited university
- A minimum of 2 years coordinating large (250+ guests) events
- Experience with office administration
- A strong understanding of best practices in events management, corporate partnership development, and community liaison activities
- Demonstrated experience in building strong relationships
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Budget management and negotiation skills
- Experience in the hospitality industry preferred
- Computer Skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, BidPal (can be trained), Raiser’s Edge (can be trained)
When applying for this position please combine your Cover Letter and Resume into one PDF document and upload the combined PDF.