JOB SUMMARY: To provide daily coverage of the Chiefs community and marketing initiatives via written content, social media, and on-camera appearances. This position is primarily focused on producing community, lifestyle, marketing content and also assisting with football coverage.
- Areas of Focus- Community involvement, fans, marketing, lifestyle, partner and fan-relations initiatives, human-interest, and Arrowhead Stadium activities.
- Written Content- This position will produce daily written content for Chiefs.com.
- Authored Features: community involvement, Arrowhead event info and recaps, non-football player features and marketing, sponsorships and fan-relations initiatives.
- Compilation Articles: player social media recaps, content aggregation recaps and interest articles.
- Work closely with the marketing and communications staff to keep up to date on the team and the teams’ message.
- On-Camera- This position will serve as an on-camera community reporter for television and digital features.
- On-camera coverage responsibilities include: community involvement, marketing, sponsorship and fan-relations initiatives and possible television show hosting and/or segment appearances as determined by 65TPT, human-interest segments, occasional hosting of live events or functions, and additional appearances as requested.
- Social Media- This position will provide and amplify coverage from approved, team-owned Twitter account. Social content should be consistent with that which is suitable for Chiefs.com and follows the NFL social media policy.
- Tweets will be used to: inform fans of community and marketing-related happenings, promote content and drive traffic to Chiefs.com, provide supplemental information to @chiefs tweets, inspire our fans, and unite our community.
- Social content should feature: football as entertainment, uniforms, cheerleaders, tailgating, food, fun, fans, photos, fashion, stadium, charity, community, human interest, team store/apparel, high school and amateur football, and women and kids as fans.
- Assist with other digital media projects.
- Effectively edit all written work for appropriate content and style.
- Potential travel to preseason road games and other events.
1. Written Communications – Must possess exceptional written journalism skills with knowledge and application of AP style.
2. On-camera reporting experience – ability to work with 65TPT producers and video camera operators to identify and communicate coverage angles, interview subjects, provide feedback for video footage and deliver messaging to effectively cover the club, players, ambassadors and representatives.
3. Oral Communications – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification. Demonstrates group presentation skills and participates in meetings.
4. Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions and exhibits sound and accurate judgment. Includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
5. Creativity – Displays original thinking and strong creativity skills. Meets challenges with resourcefulness.
6. Technical Skills – Must have strong social media skills. Ability to publish content to Chiefs.com through the NFL’s content management system.
7. Motivation – Demonstrates excellent personal motivation and encourages others to be motivated and enthusiastic.
8. Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully. Must be able to develop solutions quickly and effectively.
1. Light office duties and activities.
2. Standing for long periods of time.
3. Extensive game day activities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED (EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS):
1. 1-2 years of previous professional, full-time journalism experience and previous experience covering an NFL team preferred.
2. Bachelor’s degree in Media Communications, marketing or equivalent work experience.
3. Strong social media skills.