The YMCA of the Middle Tyger Branch is seeking an energetic, hands-on professional with a background in Aquatics to fill the position of Aquatics Coordinator. Under the direction of the Aquatics Director and Middle Branch Manager, the Aquatics Coordinator will coordinate and supervise the day-to-day operations of the aquatics department by assisting in developing, organizing and maintaining high-quality YMCA programs and ensure proper pool maintenance. The Aquatics Coordinator will also provide leadership, instruction, and motivation for aquatics staff in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures, as well as provide swim instruction and lifeguarding as necessary. They will create a safe and positive atmosphere which promotes member safety, engagement and satisfaction. Finally, they know and exhibit the YMCA Mission through programs that strive for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. This position is short-term.
- Supervises aquatic program activities to meet YMCA objectives. Ensure program quality and monitor staff performance and member service.
- Develop relationships with members and obtain regular feedback on programs.
- Supervise pool area and ensure lifeguard staff are monitoring patrons and portraying professional behavior at all times. Ensure no distraction or interference with the ability to hear or see signs of distress. Ability to fill in as lifeguard, water safety instructor, and aquatics instructor.
- Ensures records of staff certifications are up-to-date and complete.
- Assist in the delivery of aquatics programs, instructions, and staff training.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of and participation in programs.
- Maintains pool logs, pool updates, and incident reports.
- Assist with aquatics program/lesson scheduling, responding to daily public inquiries about Aquatics Department and other regular administrative tasks.
- Completes other related duties as assigned by Aquatics Director.
- One to two years of related experience and aquatics background preferred.
- Maintain current certifications in: - Current American Red Cross CPR, AED, and First-Aid Certifications - Current Lifeguard Instructor Certification (preferred) - Current Swim Instructor Trainer Certification (preferred)
- Possess mature judgment and sound decision-making.
- Demonstrates the ability to work independently and proactively in a leadership role with little supervision or instruction.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills, and has the ability to work well with members, staff and volunteers.
- Demonstrates constant and clear communication in a reasonable amount of time between Aquatics Director, Branch Manager, Aquatics Staff, and participants.
- Possesses organizational skills, prioritizing abilities, human relation skills, and must have good communication skills – verbal, written and phone.
- Ability to maintain certification-level, physical and mental readiness.