Come join a thriving YMCA! Over the past 5 years, we have experienced unprecedented growth leading to record membership, program, and community support numbers. We are excited about what the future has in store and seek a leader to connect with our community as our next Program Director overseeing Aquatics and Sports.
This position of Aquatics and Sports Director requires strong leadership and organizational skills; an understanding of programs, services, and relationships needed to meet the needs of a growing and diverse community; and a commitment to use a broad array of traditional and modern communication channels to effectively present the values, priorities, and work of the YMCA.
The YMCA of Greater Spartanburg impacts lives every day. We are a leading non-profit committed to strengthening the community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. The Aquatics and Sports Director will lead the development and implementation of high-quality programs. The ideal candidate must have a demonstrated track record of delivering high-quality youth programs, combined with the ability to manage the administrative components of an aquatics and sports program. Strong organizational and time management skills are necessary to ensure that the participants and families have an exceptional experience at the Y. Responsibilities include supervision and training of the program staff along with new and innovative ideas to grow and expand existing programs. The director will need to be available to work evenings and weekends, as necessary.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. It's who we are, who we aspire to be, and how we show up every day. We are cause-driven. We don't just show up, we show up with purpose. As a cause-driven leader, you are expected to be:
- Welcoming - Accept neighbors eagerly, warmly, hospitably, and as equal participants.
- Nurturing - To care for, support, and help develop through encouragement.
- Hopeful - Take an optimistic or positive view or future outcomes.
- Determined - To devote full strength and concentrated attention to the cause.
- Genuine - To be honest and open in relationships with others.
We act intentionally to connect people to our cause. Join us and help transform lives!
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of two years of aquatics and/or sports experience in a supervisory role preferred.
- Aquatic Certifications â€“ Lifeguard, Swim Lesson Instructor required; Lifeguard Instructor and Certified Pool Operator preferred (will be required within 90 days of hire)
- Experience in sports officiating and/or sports management preferred.
- Red Cross or ASHI First Aid, CPR, AED, and Oxygen will be required.
EXPERIENCE & BACKGROUND
- High energy, positive, "can-do" attitude, flexibility, attention to detail, and a high degree of initiative will help this candidate be successful.
- The ability to direct programs through leading both staff and volunteers, developing and monitoring budgets, developing, and marketing programs, and bringing enthusiasm and a passion for fundraising.
- This leader will also need the ability to connect and relate with diverse groups of people at all levels of the organization.
- A proven track record in building authentic relationships with others and the ability to establish and maintain collaborations with community organizations.
- Bilingual English/Spanish would be a plus.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives. Grow aquatics and sports in accordance with operating plans.
- Recruit, train, develop, schedule, and direct staff and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ability to oversee full-time and part-time staff in an effective manner.
- Monitor daily pool operations and conditions to adhere to all state, local, and YMCA health and safety regulations. Maintain accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance.
- Secures and schedules athletic fields and facilities. Transports and sets up equipment for games and practices; monitors and purchases necessary sporting equipment as budget permits.
- Creates sports team rosters and schedules. Organizes and conducts parent orientation meetings, and training and meetings for coaches.
- Assists in the branch marketing efforts and distribution of program information, may organize and schedule program registrations. May review and process program scholarship applications.
- Works with diversity and inclusion initiatives to ensure "For All" in our communities and staffing.
- Develops and monitors department and program budgets to meet fiscal objectives.
- Organizes and hosts season parties and events, promoting healthy eating and good nutrition.
- Organizes and conducts aquatics and sports clinics.
- Assists in YMCA fundraising and special events.
- Models relationship-building skills in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner.
- Assists with Program Committee meetings.
- Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in programs.
Cause-Driven Leadership Competencies
To put Christian principles into practice through programs, services, and relationships that build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all.
AREAS OF IMPACT
The YMCA is an organization that serves all people, from all backgrounds and all walks of life. Our purpose is to strengthen community. Our areas of impact include:
- Youth Development: Empowering young people to reach their full potential.
- Healthy Living: Improving individual and community well-being.
- Social Responsibility: Providing support and inspiring action in our communities.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The YMCA of Greater Spartanburg offers a competitive salary and benefits package for selected candidates.
The yearly salary range for this position is $50,000 - $65,000 and will be commensurate with the selected candidateâ€™s experience.
The YMCA provides health, dental, and vision benefits. Long-term disability, employee assistance plan, free family membership, discounts on Y programs including summer camps, enrichment classes, youth sports, childcare, and more! Eligible to enroll in a 403 (b) tax-deferred account at beginning of employment. 12% retirement paid by the YMCA upon meeting eligibility requirements. Paid time off (PTO) based on hours worked and years of service. Training and leadership development opportunities.
YMCA of Greater Spartanburg is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled