Biohabitats is seeking an engineer with a solid foundation in the principles of ecological restoration, green infrastructure, and nature-based design. The successful candidate will support a variety of public, private, and institutional projects throughout the Midwest, from concept design through construction documents and implementation, with an opportunity to collaborate on projects led out of other Biohabitats' Bioregion offices. Projects will vary in type, scale, and complexity and may include stream, wetland, and shoreline restoration; climate resilience; stormwater management and green infrastructure design; and dam removal and fish passage projects.
Biohabitats works with federal, state, and local agencies along with conservation organizations and private institutions on biodiversity conservation, climate adaptation, coastal resiliency, and environmental justice. Our shared mission to Restore the Earth & Inspire Ecological Stewardship serves as the foundation for our practice, while self-management, wholeness, and evolutionary purpose define our culture. As a perpetual purpose trust owned company, Biohabitats' commitment to nature is resolute.
To learn more about our outstanding benefits follow 'Learn about our benefits' on our Careers Page.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Support a range of planning and design projects (stream, wetland, and shoreline restoration; climate resilience; stormwater management and green infrastructure design; and dam removal and fish passage).
- Create site-specific concept designs.
- Prepare construction documents, specifications, and cost estimates.
- Provide construction phase services (e.g. bid support, construction observation, etc.)
- Conduct natural resources and watershed inventories and field assessments.
- Provide other technical project support as needed.
Required Experience & Skills
- Professional experience related to stream, wetland, and shoreline restoration projects.
- Applied experience supporting design projects from concept through construction drawings and implementation.
- Proficient in hydrologic and hydraulic modeling programs (e.g. TR-55/TR-20, HEC-RAS, SWMM, HydroCAD).
- Proficient in AutoCAD, ArcGIS, and MS 365 Suite.
- Ability to support or lead field assessments under a variety of weather and site conditions.
- Ability to work both collaboratively in a team environment and independently.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Helpful Experience & Skills
- Professional experience related to dam removal and fish passage projects.
- Professional experience related to climate resilience, stormwater management, and green infrastructure design projects.
- Geomorphic assessment knowledge and experience.
Bachelor's or Master's Degree in relevant engineering field (e.g. Civil, Environmental, Ecological)
Years of Experience
5-10 years relevant ecological restoration experience
PE or ability to obtain through reciprocity within six months of hire date
$75,000 - $95,000 (negotiable based on experience)
Cleveland, OH (preferred) or Louisville, KY
Provide 1) Cover Letter and 2) Resume in .PDFs not to exceed 5MB. Applications without these components will not be considered.
Biohabitats is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a dedication and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion informed by systemic injustices. We are a purpose-driven, performance oriented, and values-led organization. We are a certified B-Corp, meeting the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance. To ensure that you will thrive at Biohabitats, we highly encourage you to review our Mission, Values, and Approach before applying.
Biohabitats is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled