Major Gifts Officer
Department: Development Prepared By : HR Director
Reports To: Executive Director Approved By: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Exempt Last Modified: 2017-08-24
To secure funds for the organization by managing a group of assigned, qualified donors, assuring that as many as possible are retained as continuing donors to the organization, and are upgraded in their giving and involvement. The successful candidate is responsible for planning, coordinating, and implementing an individual major gift program to meet the major gift fundraising goals and build the individual donor base.
- Move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure.
- Promotes the Hope Hall's service and brand to prospective and current donors.
- Manage relationships with 150 prospective and current donors. Ensure positive and purposeful prospect and donor relations.
- Initiate and maintain contact with potential and current donors.
- Interacts with various media outlets to generate a wide appeal.
- Develop appropriate cultivation strategies for donors and prospects, including working with volunteers, Executive Director and Board members
- Make solicitations when appropriate
- Maintain stewardship contacts with donors; adhere to the highest ethical standards; demonstrate empathetic disposition and perseverance; reflect optimistic and positive attitude, and convey sensitivity to the needs of donors
- Work with Special Events Associate to develop cultivation and engagement events
- Work with Special Events Associate to create breakfast events for potential donors to learn more about the school, at the school
- Ask Board for referrals
- Solicit gifts from community individuals and businesses
- Work collaboratively on major gifts ($1,000+) with Development staff and offer prospect strategy counsel to the Executive Director and Development staff who are managing other prospects, with a focus of securing support for scholarships, unrestricted donations and priorities as defined by the Executive Director.
- Close 5-10 major gifts and 10 new Dolce Society memberships annually; raising $100,000 or more annually.
- Goal of making 150-250 visits per year, including 25 qualifying visits per year.
- Work schedule may require weekends, evenings, and extended hours as needed to meet the goals of this position.
- Position may also require travel as needed to meet the goals of this position.
- *The company reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required (Communications or similar preferred)
- Experience: at least 5 years of major gift fundraising required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Active listening
- Social perceptiveness
- Time management
- Critical thinking
- Exemplary interpersonal skills
- Top level written and oral communication skills
- Excellent leadership and team skills
- In-depth fundraising knowledge
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Suite including Power Point and Word