Under the direction of the Membership Director and the Member Service Coordinator, the Member Service Representative is responsible for Desk operations during their shift. The incumbent will provide tours to potential members, sell memberships, register members for programs, answer phones, develop relationships with members to ensure member retention and satisfaction, respond to member questions and concerns, complete a variety of transactions to maintain member database records, and perform various clerical functions as assigned. The incumbent must perform their duties in accordance with the policies, goals, mission values and objectives established by the YMCA of Greater Spartanburg. The incumbent accepts, demonstrates and teaches the mission of the YMCA and its commitment to focus on youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
Member Service Representative Responsibilities:
- Greet all members by learning and using their names and doing anything needed to make their experience at the YMCA a pleasant one. This includes providing excellent member service by greeting members by name, scanning members’ cards, monitor and control access to the facility, process membership sales, provide tours to prospective members, register members for programs and troubleshoot member issues.
- Develop positive relationships with members fostering an atmosphere of community, which in turn will have an overall positive effect on member retention.
- Accurately input member information as needed into the computer and process all fees and payments following established cash handling procedures.
- Responsible for completing shift close-outs and submitting accurate deposits based on transactions.
- Answer phones in a polite, professional manner, ensuring calls are routed to the appropriate departments and messages are accurate and given to the intended person.
- Possess a strong understanding of all programs, activities, and services, with the ability to provide members detailed, accurate and timely information regarding schedules, costs, wait lists, programs, and facility information.
- Participate in all member retention programs, strategies, promotional efforts, and fundraising campaigns.
- Open and close the facility according to established procedures.
- Handle emergencies as they arise. Complete incident reports as required.
- Work as a team member in handling assigned tasks.
- Assist in maintaining branch cleanliness, appearance, and safety through periodic rounds using established procedures.
- Take responsibility at the beginning of the shift to check the communications binder for daily updates, verify cash, check that member communication materials are stocked and work area is orderly and neat.
- Communicate pertinent information with the Membership Coordinator at the beginning or ending of their shift.
- Adhere to and enforce all YMCA policies and procedures; also ensure that members are aware of policies and procedures that apply to members.
- Maintain privacy requirements by not sharing personal, financial or credit information about members (or other staff) including but not limited to, phone numbers, addresses, program participation, financial information or personal situations.
- Attend all required staff meetings and training.
Other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
Experience and Education:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Prefer a minimum of one year or more experience working in the customer service field.
- Able to encourage and motivate others.
- Excellent people skills to build solid relationships with members, staff, volunteers, and guests.
- Able to plan and prioritize workload.
- Able to remain calm under pressure.
- Good decision-making skills.
- High degree of human relation and customer service skills, must be a “people person” with the ability to establish, collaborate and maintain positive relationships with members, staff, volunteers and the general public.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, work independently, resolve problems and possess effective time management skills.
- Possess basic computer skills and a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs. Experience with database management software is preferred.
- Must be a team player who demonstrates strong verbal communication, interpersonal, organizational, problem-solving and customer service skills.
- Possess and demonstrates excellent telephone etiquette.
- Possess and demonstrate the ability to: read, interpret and effectively communicate documents, information and instructions such as safety rules, program policies, rules and procedures, Member Services and Welcome Desk procedures and YMCA policies and procedures. In addition, perform basic writing and mathematical skills (ie. Simple correspondence, adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing). Perform basic computer skills such as entering program transactions, etc.; solve problems and deal with a variety of situations and/or complaints; work with minimum supervision; work as part of the membership, volunteers, and YMCA staff team.
YMCA of Greater Spartanburg is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled