Biohabitats, a leading conservation planning, ecological restoration, regenerative design, and construction firm based in Baltimore, MD, is seeking a Controller to join our mission-driven team. With eight Bioregional offices nationwide, Biohabitats works throughout the country and internationally with public, private, and non-profit organizations to restore the earth and inspire ecological stewardship.
The Controller is responsible for overseeing the day to day accounting operations of the company and all aspects of financial management, including but not limited to the completion of accurate and timely financial reporting to our Leadership Team to support strategic initiatives and decision making throughout the organization.
We provide outstanding benefits. Click on ‘Learn about our benefits’ on our Careers page to find out more.
- Financial reporting and maintenance of the general ledger
- Develop, direct, and manage company budgets and financial projections
- Work with accounting firm on annual third party review and tax return
- Oversee revenue recognition in coordination with staff and project accountants
- Process bi-weekly payroll and complete certified payrolls when applicable
- Monthly analysis and maintenance of P&L and reconciliation of balance sheet accounts for each Bioregion
- Interpret operating results and make specific recommendations for cost reduction and profit improvement
- Work directly with Senior Management on a day-to-day basis to develop business performance metrics and processes for financial analysis
- Ensure compliance with generally accepting accounting principles by researching technical issues and implementing new procedures as necessary
- Experience including financial statement preparation, billing, month-end close, projections, benchmarking, cash management
- Construction or A/E industry experience required
- Experience with Deltek Vision is a plus
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Must have advanced-level Microsoft Excel and Word skills including Pivot Tables and Charting
Education: Bachelor's Degree
Years of experience: 10-15+
Professional Registration: Certified Public Accountant is preferred but is not required